2009年9月26日土曜日

Cautiously Optimistic

As I reported in my book Japan's Road to Popular Empowerment in 2000, the first time the government changed hands, the main benefit of ousting a long time ruling party is that a new set of people takes over the ministries and opens windows on deep, dark secrets.

This is happening now. You can read about it in today's Japan Times online. http://tinyurl.com/yccjqag

It's the part about Okinawa that especially interests me. I still remember a colleague on the Mainichi Newspapers being hounded out of his fast track reporting career because he suggested the reversion of Okinawa was not exactly as advertised. It turns out he was right all along.

Now that he's in his 70's, is someone going to turn back the clock and give him back his life? I don't think so.